LEED® Platinum Certification is much more than recycling the traditional items of plastics, aluminum, glass, cardboard, paper, newspaper and wood. They also recycle the “not-so” traditional items of batteries, sod, water and food. To operate at the highest level of sustainability:
- A waste water reclamation plant
- A natural ventilation system
- A building automation system for monitoring thermostats, light sensors, air intakes, and other controllable systems
- Recyclable products and goods
- Indigenous plants for landscaping
- 57% post-consumer recycled hand towels
- 50% post-consumer toilet tissue
- Aquifer water in cooling towers and cleaning
- Low or no-volatile organic compounds (VOC) in paints, carpeting, adhesives and sealants
- Automatic, green-certified dilution system
- China and cloth, whenever possible
- Biodegradable, organic plates, flatware and paperware
DLCC’s food service provider, Levy Convention Centers, donates leftover food and composts unconsumed food & kitchen waste. Since 2005, Levy has maintained North Terrace garden boxes to grow the freshest herbs and vegetables.
With the strong building operation in place, our administration staff is also committed to sustainability and a healthy environment by using:
- Exercise balls at work stations
- Recycled clipboards pencils, wooden pens, mousepads, office products
- Staple less staplers, solar-powered calculators, ceramic mugs and glass cups
- 30% post-consumer recycled copier paper
The DLCC’s sustainability team meets on a regular basis to explore new practices.
ESA SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES FOR EXHIBITORS
When deciding the exhibit booth materials for your show, consider these key components:
- Contact a Pittsburgh printer to print environmentally-friendly pamphlets, handouts, and banners, thus reducing transportation emissions.
- Compare recycled contents of promotional items and booth materials before purchasing.
- Look at your cleaning products label — is it green certified?
If extra booth giveaway items are not being shipped back to your office, contact DLCC event manager for the items to be donated to a Pittsburgh charity.
ESA SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES FOR ATTENDEES
It takes everyone to preserve DLCC’s LEED® Platinum Certification. Your efforts would be appreciated.